1. The theme for the feast this year is “Sto. Niňo: Source of Communion, Protector of Creation.” This theme comes from two main sources: First, the current Archdiocesan/CBCP thrust set for 2021 celebration: 2017 is dedicated to the Year of the Parish: Communion of Communities and the basic Augustinian Spirituality on Community Life. Second, the papal enclical Laudato Si’ of Pope Francis.
2. The Basilica and the Augustinian community has a new Prior and Rector in the person of Fr. Pacifico C. Nohara, OSA. He succeeded Fr. Jonas Mejares, OSA. (Photo Credit: Fr. Pacifico’s FB)
3. This year’s Hermano and Hermana: Mr. Leo and Cristina Manguilimutan. During the press conference, there was so much kilig factor as their story of faith and devotion was shared. As devotees, they had a favorite spot at the Basilica whenever they attend Holy Masses. However, there was a time when they had a very serious fight to the point of not speaking to each other. Leo went to the Basilica to pray and attended the Holy Mass. Cristina also went to the Basilica and saw her husband right there on their favorite spot. Both of them had a change of heart. (Photo Credits: Sun.Star Foto/Arni Aclao)
4. The Basilica is open to all pilgrims 24 hours during the novenario days.
5. The Basilica is working closely with all the government agencies, especially in terms of safety and security. The security management team of the Basilica even underwent Bomb Threat Management as part of their safety and security preparations.
6. At least five thousand persons, including police and soldiers from the Armed Forces will be deployed on the streets of Cebu City to secure the peace and order in the Sinulog and #FiestaSenyor2017 activities.
7. The Muslim community in Cebu also promised to support the efforts of the police and the military in securing the Sinulog festival. Two hundred Muslim youths will monitor the event for any suspicious-looking persons.
8. Organizers of the grand parade on January 15 have chosen a route that’s two kilometers shorter because they want the parade to end early, and be more orderly.
9. Those who are bringing backpacks, especially bulky ones, must expect to be subjected for random inspection. So, better not bring backpacks.
10. The flying of balloons is highly discouraged. They are not only hazardous but also caused disruption in electrical lines.