Story of Guidance: What Happened on October 20, 2011

The chapel of Tumalog, Mabuhay, Zamboanga Sibugay

(Note: This is a blow-by-blow account of what happened on October 20, 2011, Thursday. During this time, I was the parish priest of Parokya San Miguel in Zamboanga Sibuhay. I was already on my third day in Tabuk, the other side of Olutanga Island doing my 4-day round of “visitario” masses in our seven chapels.)

7 AM – received text from a parishioner from the opposite side of the island: “dre lalong lumalapit sa dagat ang mga putok ng baril. Ayon sa info, the MILF already asked for help sa mga kasama sa  Labatan.” (Last Saturday, October 15, 2011 – A clash broke out between the combined police and military forces and around 50 fully armed MILF rebels around 2:45 p.m. at Sitio Talaib, Labatan Village, Payao, Zamboanga Sibugay province. This place is very near Olutanga Island, we could hear the exchange of gunshots and blasting. Since Labatan is just at the opposite side of the island, we decided to push through with our masses.)

The simple life in Tumalog

9:30 AM – had my wedding mass in St. Francis Xavier Chapel – Tumalog.

11:30 AM – Lunch.


Lunch time! Bless us, o Lord and this your gift from thy bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen!

1:30 AM – Prepared for my mass at Mabuhay Agro-National High School. Suddenly, the barangay captain came and informed us that the mayor ordered that I, together with my escorts as well as the teachers, be pulled out immediately because many troops of MILF arrived in the next barrio (parang Cubao-Ortigas lang ang distance).  Naghahanda na rin ang mga ito for reinforcement sa MILF troops who were fighting in Sitio Talaib.


We were cautioned not to pass by the next barrio since passing there was already “very risky and dangerous. Baka ma-hostage pa kayo kasama ang mga teachers.”


Turco, Circa 2011

We did not waste any time. When all the teachers were ready, we also trooped to Turco, where a boat took us to Poblacion Mabuhay. Like the scene of a movie, we became so uneasy when at mid-sea, the boat suddenly stopped.  Despite the rising tension, I could not take my eyes off this child who innocently smiled at me.


Finally, we reached the Malinao wharf, the gateway to the Poblacion.


4:03 PM – Thank God, a boat filled with CAFGUS assisted us (sigh of relief!). We reached the Poblacion safe and sound.  I could not forget this day. Thank you, St. Michael the Archangel! Thank you Lord for keeping me safe!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s